Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Connecting with Wallace

In hearing what David Foster Wallace was saying, I began to ponder on my own life. In this speech, Mr. Wallace talked about many things but there's something that stood out to me. It stood out to me because I do my best to have the exact mindset. He gave an example of an ordinary day at the grocery store, and a gruesomely long trip on the freeway. In talking about the time we spend here, he mentions the feelings that everyone will automatically feel in these situations. The feeling of your time being more precious and valuable than the person in front of you. When he talked about the woman taking a long time on the register with her coupons, and said that she could have a more meticulous, stressful life than you might think. I like that he said it's not likely, but it's also not impossible. Having this mindset helps me be a better person by not losing my temper while I'm in traffic or silently judge the person taking their time in line.


My goals in life are just have an impact. I have this dream, where I'm somewhere in the world, maybe in a place where they're less fortunate. Not just financials, but also natural disasters or being affected by a war. I wish to provide service and make the life of others better.

In college I'd like to study business and how to have, or run a business. I'd also love to study journalism.

I'm not sure that I am ready for college. In high school I had a terrible work ethic. I hardly studied, turned in mediocre projects and didn't pay much attention. What I think I need to do is get a job where I'm forced to work hard otherwise I wouldn't get paid. I had  job like this my Junior year and that time where I had this job, where I had to be up early and work hard in the sun, it built character and made me realize that I cant sit around at home anymore. I learned the value of hard work going to this job every other day. Over time since I don't work there anymore, I became complacent and lazy. So I'd like to get a physically demanding job to regain this mindset that I need to work hard because if I don't than no one else will do it for me.

What excites me most about graduating from Prep is not coming here everyday, ever again. This school has done a lot of me but I've been here for seven years. I'm getting real tired of coming here everyday. Nothing really scares me about graduating. It's a rite of passage that hopefully every student can experience.

I don't know if i'm ready to take care of myself. I honestly have no idea, and it might be a little stupid but right now i'm going with the flow. I'm taking the co-pilot's seat and letting the current events shape my future. To me, "real life" is nothing new. I have 4 older siblings who have families, and have had jobs and have experienced quite a bit. I've seen what's it's like to struggle, know what mistakes to not make. I don't know what my life will be like tomorrow, I just know I'm excited.
Image result for going with the flow
This is me, not fighting the tide.











No comments:

Post a Comment